UI Breakfast Podcast. Episode 69: Switching to UI/UX with Nick Babich
Published July 28, 2017 by Jane Portman
How do you switch to UI/UX from another design field? What do you need to learn, and how? Today our guest is Nick Babich, the editor-in-chief of UX Planet, and we walk through all the steps in such transition. You’ll learn about the skills, tools, methods, and resources to fuel your UI/UX career.
Download the MP3 audio file: right-click here and choose Save As.
Podcast feed: subscribe to http://simplecast.fm/podcasts/1441/rss in your favorite podcast app, and follow us on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play Music.
- UX Planet — Nick’s main project we’re talking about
- 5 Tips for Graphic Designers Switching to UX Design — Nick’s recent article
- The Design of Everyday Things — a book by Don Norman
- Smashing Magazine, Adobe blog, Webdesigner Depot, UX Booth, Creative Bloq — must-read UI/UX resources
- Balsamiq, AdobeXD, Evernote, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator — Nick’s UX toolset (Jane also recommends Sketch)
- Behance, Dribbble, UI Movement — places to get inspiration from other people’s work
- Daily UI Design Challenge — free 100-day newsletter
- Medium, UX Planet — places to publish your UI/UX posts to get exposure
- Push.conference (the next one is October 20–21, 2017 in Munich) — one of Nick’s favorite conferences
- Nick’s website
- Follow Nick on Twitter: @101babich
This episode is brought to you by FreshBooks — cloud accounting software for freelancers and small business owners. The all new FreshBooks is not only ridiculously easy to use, it’s also packed with powerful features:
- Create and send professional looking invoices in less than 30 seconds.
- Set up online payments with just a couple of clicks and get paid up to 4 days faster.
- See when your client has seen your invoice, and put an end to the guessing games.
FreshBooks is offering a 30-day unrestricted free trial to our listeners. To claim it, just go to freshbooks.com/uibreakfast and enter UI BREAKFAST in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.
Interested in sponsoring an episode? Learn more here.
Leave a Review
Reviews are hugely important because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Here’s how.
The 1-Hour UI Audit: Get Your Free Course
With this free email course you’ll conduct a simple do-it-yourself audit of your web app: eliminate the obvious design flaws, gain control of your features, and start building the UI that customers really want.